I know I haven't updated in quite sometime and for that I apologize. I have been crazy busy with a myriad of things which I will post about asap. But today something in the form of Chris Brown crawled in my craw and I had to post about. So bare with me while I rant.

If you beat a dog you get 18 months in jail among other things. If you beat a woman you get 5 years probation and roughly $5500 in dollars. Does this seem at all bass ackward to anyone else? Now before PETA jumps on my case I'm not encouraging cruelty to animals. I am simply saying that shouldn't we expect that women and children be treated at least as well as they are?

Chris Brown received his "verdict" today for beating Rhianna.
From TMZ.com


Chris Brown was sentenced to 5 years probation and 6 months hard labor.

The judge sentenced Brown to perform hard labor at the Commonwealth Catholic Charities in Richmond, VA, where he must also take a 52-week domestic violence course.

The judge ruled Brown -- who pleaded guilty to felony assault -- must stay 100 yards away from Rihanna, unless they are both at an entertainment-related event, in which case he must stay 10 yards away. The protective order lasts 5 years.
He must provide DNA samples as requested by authorities.

Brown must also keep in touch with the Probation Department and is subject to search and seizure 24/7 for the next 5 years. He can't own any dangerous weapons, including guns or knives.

Brown must pay $2,500 in restitution and another $2,500 in probation expenses. He must also pay a $30 criminal conviction fee. He must also pay $400 that goes into a domestic violence fund.

Brown must get prior approval before leaving the country.

Again I ask does this not seem more than a little screwed up.... So what he can't own "dangerous weapons". He didn't use a gun or knife to do the damage he did. He used his fist and he still has those.

Do you really think he is going to feel a $5430 fine? He spends more than that on bottled water in a month or a single pair of shoes.

So what he ask to ask permission before leaving the country. It will be given to him b/c he needs to go for work. And a restraining order we all know is only as good as the man it is taken out against and he has already been seen knocking on Rhianna's door so obviously that doesn't matter to him either.

All this judge has succeeded in doing is setting back Domestic Violence efforts at least 20 years. SHE has sent the message yet again that celebrities are above the law and that women are still under valued members of society. So much so that abuse of a dog will land you a harsher punishment than beating a woman will. It is b/c of verdicts like this that I, along with so many others, will continue to have work to do for a VERY VERY long time.

Comments

  1. Oh Ang-

    I couldn't agree with you more. Michael Vick never touched a dog and he went to PRISON, he lost endorcements and pay... Chris Brown just proved the age old argument that a woman is worth less than a dog, and that a celebrity can get away with just about anything. It's sad and it's unfortunatly going to keep us busy for years to come. Now that our state has ZERO money helping victims it will just get worse. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This infuriates me. Once again a man gets away with beating a woman...LOOK at her FACE!I am so glad you brought up the juxtaposition of the Michael Vick case - are women worth less time than an animal? Chris Brown should be in jail - as a celebrity or not. I just hope that the young people that support and buy music by this "artist" wise up and send a message by not buying concert tickets and albums that they will NOT tolerate behavior such as this. I am disappointed in the judge as well - which I understand is a WOMAN...making this harder to stomach - the sentence does not fit the crime. I think with the passing of Senator Kennedy, this story will take a back seat in the news, which is unfortunate. Bill O'Reilly has actually stayed on top of this case and advocated for a strong sentence against Chris Brown. Hopefully he continues with this story and he sends a message to the judge that this sentence is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Talking Sexting with your Kids

Relavent Redbook Articles

Dating Violence..... My story